Life is a beautiful journey full of chaos and adventure. So, fold your sleeves, come out of your comfort zone and try something you always wanted to do.

1 Jun 2016

What is one Incident that changed your Life?



The journey of hundred miles begins with one step.

I failed in the Entrance Test of the best Institute (for IIT JEE preparation at my time), Bansal Classes (after my Class-Xth).  I was not surprised at my failure, in fact, I was happy as I never wanted to go to Kota. I could not have imagined staying away from home. But, that afternoon in my dreams, I saw that I have let my parents down as they wanted me to go there. 

So, I mustered the courage and asked my Dad if I can get into any other institute in Kota. 

I got admitted to a Coaching Institute in Kota and my Life had transformed by leaps and bound over the 3 years I invested there. If you are waiting for any exceptional story, I would request you to move to something better as it's not a rag to riches story, nor I was an underprivileged kid who made it to IITs.


This is an ordinary story


It is the story of an ordinary boy who has nothing extraordinary, neither good nor bad to showcase you. This is exceptional in it's own way. Not because I got into IITs but just because I learnt life lessons from my struggle and failure to get into IITs. It is an attempt to encourage all who are reading this to embrace their  failures and see them in a different light. It will make their life beautiful.


Inspiration to write this


On Quora, I got many personal message from students who have their own sets of problems. I felt that they are unable to share it with someone close to them or are finding it difficult to get over their failures. So, rather than telling a long story, I would share some life lessons from the biggest tragedy of my life (actually it is not a tragedy but ask someone who has been in a similar situation and they could relate). I feel a connected with all those who are struggling with their failures and it is dedicated to them.

Memories and Lessons Learned


(You don't mind working hard if you feel that it's worth it.)

Some days in Kota were really hard. I would wake up at 7:00 AM would rush for school from 8 AM to 12:00 PM and then comeback for  Lunch by 1:00 PM and then have to rush for Coaching from 2:30 PM to 7:30 PM. After that, I would go to doubt clearing faculties and would be at back to my room by 10:00 PM after a quick dinner.

After all this, minimum 3 to 4 hours of study was needed to brush up the class notes, finish assignments and to deal with backlogs. I never felt that I am burned out or tired, the energy at 10:00 PM was more than what I would have 07:00 AM as I loved what I was doing.

You cannot ignore your mother for your girlfriend or vice versa but don't forget your sister either.

Life is all about striking the fine balance between the different roles we play. So, make sure that you do justice to all the roles you have. I ignored Chemistry for Maths and she took the revenge in my first Attempt at JEE. I was cautious next time. I pampered chemistry and I loved it as I was learning from the the best faculties at Bansal when I dropped for a year after Class 12th. We called it 13th ( Anyone from Kota will smile at this). But, this time, due to overconfidence about Physics, I screwed it and again failed IIT JEE :) 

You learn many things when you are away from loved ones:

First and foremost, you learn about their importance in your life. So, yes, I value my siblings and parents more after moving out. 

When my parents left me in Kota, my brother who was my biggest enemy cried like anything and was almost inconsolable for weeks and would cry in bathroom as he missed me so much. I got to know about this when I went to home on Diwali. I scolded him for something and my parents made me realize that how ignorant I was of his love for me. 

Please don't repeat my mistakes and love your parents well. 

Are you upset about breakup? Are you feeling lonely? Have you failed to clear that exam? Pick up your phone and call your parents, siblings, friends and you will feel better. You can also ping me and offload your worries that you can't share with someone close. I think stranger are good for that purpose. Be open about your problems and share it with your parents. 

Sooner or later you will realize that your Mom & Dad are your most trusted friend. You don't have to undergo the trauma of breakup with them as they will never leave you. You will realize someday that they were always with you in your good as well as bad times. 

Are you feeling that you have let down your parents?

Don't feel that way, they only want to see their kids happy. Do what you love, they will always support you even if they tell you otherwise. It's always a happy ending :)

Are you waiting in a line and are feeling bored.

Can you remember any time when waiting was more fun and interesting. 

Let me share with you something from the lane of my memories. I used to come home on Diwali while in Kota, but the excitement back then was unmatched. It is not that I am not excited now but that joy was phenomenal. I didn't had Phone. Calling Home would last for 90 seconds and I think it costed 6-7 Rupees from STD Calling booths.  My target of Phone bills then was Rs.100/- per month. Today, how can I get the same excitement as I know every thing happening at home. I chat with them for as long as every minute thing has been discussed. And then WhatsApp ensures that we exchange  of anything and everything.

I used to keep the photo of my parents as it was the only thing when I remembered them and meeting them after 4-5 months was refreshing because we had no means to do a video chat. Guys! staying away from home was different then... it had the feel of real exile:)

My Mom's only regret is that we don't have any means through which we can send food like we can share pics on Whatsapp. For her, Food is the most important means to shower love. Her excitement is still the same for all these years as I can feel it every time I go home.

What about IIT?

Oh! I almost forgot the purpose for which I went to Kota.  May be I also got off-track while my preparation and hence I am writing about my failure instead of " How to crack IIT?".  My dream to get into IITs collapsed like Titanic and I took a lot of time to accept that I failed to get something I lived for 3 years. I am happy about my life now and I am glad that I went to Kota. I have embraced my failures and they are not shameful to me anymore. 

  
Now, I know that Life is more than getting into your dream college or getting a plum job. I have wrote how Campus Placement is over-hyped in India. Harvard or Cambridge doesn't arrange for the same.  Strange for many Indian but true !


If you are interested to know more about me, connect with me on Quora or my blog Life is Beautiful

Picture Credit- Photo by Mantas Hesthaven on Unsplash
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment