Life is a beautiful journey full of chaos and adventure. So, fold your sleeves, come out of your comfort zone and try something you always wanted to do.

27 Nov 2015

Cultural Difference: Indians can ask Personal questions to their colleagues

Cultural Difference: Indians can ask personal questions to their colleagues without offending them.

When I was in college, a workshop was organized by my college for interpersonal skills and body language.

The Instructor  informed that people in developed countries don't ask personal questions to their colleagues. I though what's the big deal in it. Many people don't prefer that in India as well.

But, I was shocked when he gave examples of personal questions. I am posting some of the questions that he categorized as personal questions (as per those from developed nations):
  1. Are you married?
  2. When you are planning to marry?
  3. How many kids you have?
  4. What you are doing on the weekend?
I am sure  that these questions don't come under our definition of personal questions.

So, Indians can ask personal questions to their colleagues without offending them.

Our Instructor told that he worked with an European colleague for 7 years. Although, they had great professional bonding but they never spoke about their personal lives. 

It is hard to believe and impossible to digest as my colleagues are pretty comfortable and casual about asking about wedding plans of others. Even, seniors don't shy away from asking when I am planning to marry. One colleague even asked if I can show him the photos of girls who would have approached me.  

I hope every bachelor (boy/girl) working in India can relate to this scenario.

In the elevator, I used to exchange smile with a mid aged-man, the day we talked, 
He- You look like a bachelor.
Me- Yes
He- When are you planning to get married?
Me- Smiles (It happens only in India)

Update- Hey, today I have intentionally shot some personal questions to a colleague to see his response. 
Background- A colleague turned 29 today. 
Me- Hey, you turned 30 today, so how does it feel to turn 30 and be a bachelor.
He- (Protested) I am not 30, just turned 29. 
Me- So, one more year to turn 30.
He- Yes, within 1 year I have to marry. [Intelligent guy :)]
Me- It's not easy man, it takes hell lot of time.
He- Hope you have not observed that I have taken frequent leaves.
Me- So what?
He- Dude, I am taking leaves to attend meetings with prospective girls.
Me- How is the experience?
He- Don't ask me. Family of one girl turned down our proposal as we don't have land in our native place.
Me- Oh! it is strange man. A 7 figure salary and a Flat in Mumbai couldn't help you.
He- Just stop pulling my leg
(I was laughing and keep pulling his leg for some more time and he was pretty OK with it. He again made me believe that Indians can ask personal questions to their colleagues without offending them.

Also see: What do people in India do very easily which can't be done by people of other nations?
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment