Life is a beautiful journey full of chaos and adventure. So, fold your sleeves, come out of your comfort zone and try something you always wanted to do.

4 Jun 2015

Tracing My Family Tree


Photo via Google Images

[PS- I have a passion for writing and a curiosity to know regarding my ancestors. I want to document about the life and history of my forefathers. It might sound old fashioned and ridiculous but probably, that’s my way to pay tribute to them.]

What do you know about your ancestors? Most of the times, we don’t know even very basic details about our ancestors beyond last 2-3 generations.

Someday, I heard that our community follows a “special house” system to trace our origins. According to them, we are Maldahiyar as my ancestors migrated to Bihar from Malda in West Bengal. I wanted to know about my ancestors in detail. But, I couldn’t get extensive information beyond last few generations.  I wanted to know the reason of migration but couldn’t get a convincing response. Also, I am not sure why there is no effect of the Bengali background on our language or culture.

I have many Bengali friends who are now staying in Bihar for last 50 years and they recognize themselves as native of Bihar. But, one key difference between them and us is that while they speak in Bengali and have their Bengali culture intact whereas we don’t know to speak Bengali at all and don’t have any influence of Bengal.

I guess that we might have migrated 100-200 years ago and the prominence of Bengali language and culture faded away in our community.

You may be surprised to know that I have never asked my Father regarding this as I never felt any curiosity to know about my great great grandfathers and ancestors. However, now I find a deep sense of purpose to map the entire migration chart of my ancestors for last 1000 years at least. I know this is an uphill task but I don’t know why but I really want to know about them.

Most of the people from my community are learned and highly educated. This is a tradition from olden times. But, there is very little written about their own history. Why?

I am planning to interview people from my community who might be having some information about their past.

My questions are-

1)    Where are your ancestors from?
2)    Do you know from where to where they migrated and why?
3)    What you know about your grandfather, great grandfather, great-great grandfather?  Their place,  occupation, lifestyle, food habits, etc.
4)    Anything interesting that you would like to share.

Your response might help me track my lineage beyond the last 3-4 generations. I know now nobody is interested in these wild goose chases but let me give it a try.




Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive