Life is a beautiful journey full of chaos and adventure. So, fold your sleeves, come out of your comfort zone and try something you always wanted to do.

25 Jun 2015

Why are NITs not as popular as IITs

Photo via Wikipedia


What are IITs? Why are we so obsessed with it? Probably, it is because of our unrequited love for IITs.

In India, IIT is not a college; it is a dream of almost every Indian aspiring to be an engineer. It is like Bollywood and Cricket which unite us against all social, cultural or religious barriers.

IIT is a sentiment, It is the sure shot ticket of success for a 17-18 year old student, at least it was my belief at that time.

IIT is an aspiration; IIT is a passion which is encouraging me to reply to this question just because I survived the preparation of IIT some 8 years ago.

IIT is a exam where after failing also, you learn so much and end up doing exceedingly well in life.

IIT is a college, which I am seeing everyday while commuting for last 4 years but can't go there.

IIT is Meeca for a Muslim, Amritsar for a sikh, Bodhgaya for a Buddhist and Kashi or Haridwar or Rameshwaram or Dwarika or Ayodhya or Mathura for a Hindu

IIT is a place where I can never go to do my B-Tech in this life. 

Your question is very true and relevant. NITs are also very good but they are not famous like IITs because they are not IITs. It is as simple as that. 
The glaze of IIT makes us blind and we are unable to see other good colleges. I accept that although other colleges like NITs or other private/government colleges may not be up to the standard of IITs but still many of them are good enough to provide a good platform for the future lying ahead of us.

It doesn't matter whether IIT JEE is too hot to handle for an aspirant, but you must appreciate their love for IITs.

For many of us, when we sat for IIT exam we thought of it as a big ticket opportunity of our Life. But more than 99 % of the aspirants are not selected and have to settle for NITs or other colleges.

In my family, it is a tradition to donate admission form fees for IIT JEE for 2 years before taking up anything. Jokes apart!! My sister is also an engineer and an exception to this rule!!

The Guys studying in other colleges keep their admiration for IITs as we want those things badly which we can't get. People are still getting nostalgic about @Rohan Sinha's answer to How does it feel to not qualify in IIT JEE?

Many of us are so engrossed to be at IIT that we cannot see anything ahead of or behind it.

While I was preparing for IIT, I never thought of taking admission anywhere except IITs. But forget IITs, I couldn't seal the deal for NITs due to few ranks.

Moral- IITs are IITs because of us, those who survived the preparation for JEE, but kept our crush on IITs alive. I don't know about others but Failing IIT is a reminder milestone for me which reminds me to keep pushing hard and push my limits to achieve more bigger and better challenges in pursuit of my unfulfilled dream. NITs are very good and have all the ingredients to be known as great colleges.



Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive