Life is a beautiful journey full of chaos and adventure. So, fold your sleeves, come out of your comfort zone and try something you always wanted to do.

15 Aug 2015

What are your memories of Independence day?

My response to a Question asked by me on Quora

I don't know why I asked this question two days ago. And, it is ridiculous that I am writing an answer to a question  asked by me. My question failed to inspire people to respond to this and so I am sharing something from my memory.

Independence day has been a red lettered day in our calendar. I have vivid memories of going to school in complete white uniform on this auspicious day. I am able to feel the joy I got in buying paper flags as a school kid. There used to be cultural events in the school. Although, I was too shy to participate in any of the stage events. But, there was enthusiasm in our heart and mind. Everywhere you would hear patriotic songs that made me feel proud on being an Indian. It was a day when we remembered all the freedom fighters who lost their lives in the struggle of freedom. The legends like Bhagat Singh, Sukhdeo, Subhash Chandra Bose, Gandhi, Nehru, etc were all remembered and revered for their contribution to the struggle for freedom. 
 
I can remember vividly that we were made to stand in a queue and sweets distribution was done systematically in our school. I loved the Parade done by various platoons. We made sure to watch Patriotic Movies coming on Doordarshan like Kranti, Karma, Tirranga, etc. We had less means compared to today but looking back, I feel nostalgic about the childhood, the innocence and the carefree attitude.

I make sure to each Jalebis on Independence Day and Republic Day even when I am away from home. It has became my way of celebrating our National Festivals.

Having said that, now I realized why I put this question. I was a bit upset over how I the significance of this day has evolved for me. I know there is nothing wrong in celebrating our Independence Day in our own style. But, every time I treat it as just another holiday, it bothers me. Now, it has been a day when I would hit multiplexes or I would rush to a weekend destination in or around Mumbai. I am not complaining but I am missing the simplicity of my childhood when our day would start with the Flag Hosting and had the feel which is missing now. I don't know about the school kids of today but for me the significance of this day has changed and it hurts :(

I hope to wake up before the Flag Hosting at Red Fort and at least have a glimpse of the speech of the PM before proceeding to our weekend trip.

EDIT- It's a joy to see the Flag Hosting at Red Fort even on TV. One thing has not changed over all these years and that is the respect for our National  Anthem. It gives goosebumps even today and I am happy for that. Time to pack my bag and Alibaug is ON :)
 
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive