Life is a beautiful journey full of chaos and adventure. So, fold your sleeves, come out of your comfort zone and try something you always wanted to do.

8 Mar 2016

8 Lessons I Learned While Mentoring My Siblings

Siblings:
Rohit - My brother did his B-tech from a reputed college in Indore. He was getting some tech support jobs which he chose not to go after as he was always passionate about being a Java Developer. He is undergoing training at a reputed Institute in Bangalore to hone his Java Programming skills.
He is also looking for a job as a Java Developer. His sheer Positive Attitude inspires not just those who are going through the phase of joblessness but many others. I've started this blog by drawing inspiration from him. Don't feel ashamed if you're currently jobless. It is a Phase of Life- At least, that's what he feels. LearnSeven Career Tips From my brother
Resha- Our little sister has got a job offer from Intel as a Software Developer. She is in 8th Sem and is currently an intern with Intel till July, after which she will join as a full time employee from August, this year. She is our benchmark of academics. She was an average student till first year of college but some good habits transformed her life by leaps and bounds.
She has worked on many projects that got her an opportunity to work as an Intern at a Startup. She was selected by Ericsson for Talent Development Program, successfully completed it. I am working on a post which will help aspiring software engineers to aim for dream companies and unleash the tremendous potential in them. Follow Career Consultant  to get notified when it is published.
Lessons Learned-
  1. Talk with conviction.
    1. I stand and walk while making some serious talking. It's bit embarrassing when someone is around.
    2. Make someone believe in your words. You can do that only by being brutally honest yet candid.
  2. Give analogy suitable as per the situation.
    1. My Dad burst into laughter when I told that even Resha might not clear the interview for which Rohit went as even she can't clear an interview every time.
    2. He added, you're right. *She has four job offers and two internships* Never failed in interviews for half a dozen companies.
  3. Address the root cause of the Problem.
    1. People knowingly or unknowing say things that hurts Mom.
    2. She don't like when people say that can't Resha give a job offer to Rohit.
    3. Is it a fruit? So, bringing her into picture.
    4. Making them understand that having a successful sibling is a deadly psychological advantage.
    5. Also, it helps in studies as they're in same city now.
  4. Make someone count their blessings.
    1. My parents really get happy when I remind them how much I admire my sister.
    2. They trust me when I say my brother is Jobless not worthless.... in fact, he is priceless.
  5. We often take loved ones for granted.
    1. I notice my behavior every time I get annoyed over my parents. It's frequency is decreasing yet I'm fallible...
    2. I'm human not a robot.
    3. I keep repeating the mistakes...keep regretting and keep doing corrective actions. It's all part of the game.
    4. Follow your interaction with your parents and/or other loved ones- Do notice how many times you hurt them.
  6. Don't be ashamed of your pitfalls- Try to rectify them. Rohit has a list of the lessons he learned from his failed interviews. You can also have your own that will tell you where you're heading. This guy is amazing not because he is my brother... he is also my mentor. Read Seven Career Tips From my brother
  7. Don't feel embarrassed if you're jobless-
    1. It's part of the game. I tell my brother that ten years down the line, his success would inspire many people while I, who has got job from campus would only appeal to a few who might need some tips for campus placement.
    2. *I'm glad that I'm able to gauge the motivation level of my brother and he is really a positive person.
  8. People do judge. I judge.
    1. I will not admit because I hate judging people.
    2. Still, I judge unknowingly. And that's why, "I didn't expressed my happiness due to sister's job while talking to him.
    3. He must have felt, how can my brother be so cold. After all he offered sweets to his PG mates when my sister got into INTEL.
    4. Some of the guys even asked him that don't he feel bad that his younger sister will start earning and he's still jobless.
    5. He didn't took his remarks seriously and told that she is my Sister not my competitor. She got what she deserved. I'm proud on her *
    6. I had goosebumps when I heard that.
Follow this blog to post your queries for campus or off-campus placement. I'm a mechanical engineer and my siblings are software engineer. I'm sure, we can help you out.
Please don't expect individual response due to my hectic schedule however I assure you that your concerns would be addressed in future post.
Follow Career Consultant to get notification about future posts.
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive