Life is a beautiful journey full of chaos and adventure. So, fold your sleeves, come out of your comfort zone and try something you always wanted to do.

8 Mar 2016

How Do I Manage My Work-Life Balance After My Marriage?

I'm a 23 year old girl who is computer science graduate. How do I manage my work-life balance after my marriage?
You've raised an issue that few 23 year old would be interested in at that point of time. I don't know if this is helpful or not but consider this as a response I would give to my sister and is on a personal level.
You're 23. Life in a software company is a roller coaster ride. There are good, bad and evil packaged in it.
Now, this advice is not for everyone. This advice is for you, this advice is based on informational interviews of hundreds of people- online and offline backed by some online research.
Here it goes,
It's way easier to wear shoes rather than covering the roads with leather to protect our feet from getting hurt.
You're just 23. Rather than spending life at a service based IT Firm, try to switch to a Product based IT company.
  • Work Life balance is far better there compare to the service based companies in general.
  • There will be flexibility in schedule.
  • Work from home can be a pleasure rather than a curse as people are often expected to work on holidays from home if any issue arises at service based companies.
  • Someone told me that in their product based IT company, girls can rejoin even after taking a 2-3 year break after their baby is born.
  • Such companies allow work from home with less workload for over an year and Maternity leave can be of  6 months or more instead of the 3 months as specified by government. Many are also considering paternity leaves.
My sister's boss is working for over a decade and seems happy. My cousin (sister) is in a service based company and is on maternity leave. My sister works at a product based company and I really envy her work schedule and facilities (kidding...).

Enjoy your work, enjoy the daily household chores. No matter where you're, if you make it a point to enjoy what you do and juggle between career and personal life then you can excel at this work-life balance. However, life would be relatively chilled out at big product based companies. So, in 3-4 years get into one of them and enjoy the work-life balance for years to come.
*Exceptions are the rule yet the observation holds good in most of the cases. I've done my homework before telling this.



Read more related stuffs on  Psychological Patterns I Career Consultant
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive