Life is a beautiful journey full of chaos and adventure. So, fold your sleeves, come out of your comfort zone and try something you always wanted to do.

9 Oct 2015

Career Advice: An Electronics fresher looking for off-campus job

(Note- This question was asked to me on a social network and the response was given there. I feel that it will benefit many people and hence I am sharing it here)

Question: I'am a B.Tech Graduate in Electronics and Instrumentation and I finished my Course this year in 2015 May.  I somehow missed out on the campus placements in my college and getting a job off campus is very difficult now as there are very less openings for freshers. Moreover getting a IT placement for and electronic graduate is quite difficult nowadays. I've written amcat and am trying for that as well but now at this stage even amcat is asking for experienced candidates. My financial situation stopped me from going for Higher studies, right now only getting a job is on my checklist. Please advice me on what to do and is it too late because its been 6 months I passed out and am taking this very seriously. I feel like am good for nothing and I go into depression.M basically from Goa, when I go there I feel distracted and good but when I return to Hyderabad I again feel that world is coming to an end. I definitely need support and advice because am really tensed about this and I'am the only one who has to support my family and there are many financial problems also.

Answer: You have made my job easily because you know what you want to do. Here are a few tips that will definitely help.  

1. You have read about my brother. So, will not repeat that campus placement is over-hyped. There is nothing to be depressed about it. Just chuck the negative thoughts.

2. Your communication skills is really good. It's a big advantage.

3. There are cheap coaching institutes in Hyderabad that teaches java/ other programming languages and make you a master within months. Don't panic. Learning is the only viable solution and best way and that's why I have made my brother do that in Bangalore.

4. Read on my blog about campus placement (just search campus on the right sidebar search option and u will love the articles. It will make u accept that your placement don't define who you are.

5. The struggle you do today will pay off someday . Nothing is wasted ever. And you are not good for nothing. You are equally blessed as those who are placed in campus.

6. Stay optimistic, keep learning and keep reminding yourself that all is well. You are not alone. You are going to shine soon. Don't feel ashamed. Tell people that you are looking for a job.

7. Don't feel burdened by family commitments. All will be alright, you have to work for 35-40 years.. It really doesn't matter if someone join workforce 6 months or 2 years later than their peers. Life is a marathon. Keep reminding yourself. The struggle is part of your journey. It is for some good cause.

8. Look for startups. Update your Nakuri and LinkedIn profile, brush up resume, cover letter.etc. 

9. Initially, as a fresher look for roles where you can learn and grow professionally. Don't bother much about the pay. Because after a year or so, when you have the right skills then people would be willing to pay more and hire knowledgeable candidates like you.

10. I know, I might have missed your concerns, they might be addressed in my articles. Go through it. Take your time and let me know if it helps or not. Also feel free to ask more specific questions.

Have a nice day!
Share:

1 comment:

  1. . It may start with you asking them a lot of questions, but aim to make it a conversation. In the long run, this makes them feel more comfortable hiring someone that they know. Ryan

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive