Life is a beautiful journey full of chaos and adventure. So, fold your sleeves, come out of your comfort zone and try something you always wanted to do.

11 Oct 2015

It is not easy to let go of things

Today, I spent 4 hours cleaning my cupboard but it was fun and entertaining like an old slow movie. I am not joking. I had to pack bag for my vacation so I thought why not let go of the unwanted stuffs. It was a great idea as I was already feeling bored and so had got a job to do. I first targeted clothes and realized that there are two dozen of clothes that I don't use but can be given away.

I have told my friends staying together about this and we have decided to donate all the clothes that are of no use us to a NGO I had contacted few weeks ago. They come and collect old clothes and would distribute it among poor and needy people.

Then, came the hard part, I decided to let go of my novels which I had already read. But, I was not feeling like doing away with them. So, I  immediately decided to put aside two thick competitive exams book for Mechanical Engineering. The condition of the books reminded me that I brought them for preparing for PSUs and GATE but they had only tasted dust and nothing else.

I wish I could give it to someone for free. Sadly, I don't know any family in this urban village. There are more than 2500 families in our housing complex but we don't know anyone. I think the last option would be to give it to a nearby book shop.

Even, books were easy when I went to remove the heap of papers in several files. I started going through them and they took me to flashback. The train ticket when I went to join my first job reminded me of that wonderful trip when my dad and brother accompanied me to Chennai and they went ahead to Bangalore for my brother's counselling for Engineering Colleges.

After that, I got my hands on old checkbooks and passbooks which have been obsolete but I don't know why I couldn't throw them away. Then I got my hand on few old passport size photos. I don't look like them but still how could I get rid of them. We had an orientation program when I joined L&T. I got the program schedule and man I couldn't dump it. It felt so good to remember those days. We were so excited. We were hosted in a posh resort for ten days and we had awesome food at office and resort. Ah! those days...

I got my hands on my offer letter of TCS and I opened it, smiled and kept it back safely. A thought passed my mind that by this way, I am not going to get rid of the clutter. So, have tried to do away with as many documents that didn't had any emotional value for me. The strange thing is that we are so busy in our day to day life that we hardly go through those things but dumping them still feels hard.

I had got many rakhis which is a proof that I have been away from my sister on Rakshabandhan for years. I wear rakhis for many days and then keep them safely. I will not throw them. I even have the envelope and the letter from my sister which she sends with the Rakhi. This year she had not send the letter and I was searching for it in the envelope. She was busy due to the placement season and I can understand this.

I was reminded of my Mom. When I was collecting old clothes to give to poor people then Mom would pick few old clothes and would keep it back. When asked, she would say that this was when you were born or your first birthday. I didn't felt anything then. But, today I can understand her attachment with those piece of clothes.

Vivekananda said that we must let go of attachment to people or things. I agree with him but I just thought to write down about this mundane experience as it would remind me of all those stuffs always, whenever I would read it. I doubt if anyone else reads me here. I am my only loyal reader :)
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive