Life is a beautiful journey full of chaos and adventure. So, fold your sleeves, come out of your comfort zone and try something you always wanted to do.

6 Oct 2015

Words of wisdom (Startup advice) from an old man

Date- 30.09.2015
It was 9:45 in the morning when an old man came to me in office. My earphone was still on as I was checking mails. So, I put that out and greeted him and shook hand with him.
He is the owner of a Proprietary firm which is more than 20 years old. When we met, he told about the progress of the work that we have awarded him.  I enquired whether he is getting the payments without any hassle or not. He responded in affirmation.
Then, he told that when he got the job from us last year then he had nine projects in hand. Now, only two are going on. He has filled tenders and is expecting to bag some new projects.
Out of curiosity, I asked, it must have been difficult to pay the workforce when you don’t have enough jobs for them.
He told, “I have laid off few new employees who were doing low end jobs. I retain my old and senior level employees as it is difficult to get qualified people. We are not a Limited company, so everyone is approachable to the owner. I have to make sure that everyone is happy.  Many a times, we have to hire someone at a very high salary when we get a project. It makes the existing employees unhappy. So, I try now to retain the good employees even when I don’t have job so that dissatisfaction in employees can be avoided.”
He added, “Yesterday, my welder called and told me that his mother had expired. So, I got his flight ticket arranged”.
I told, “That’s impressive”. He even provides accommodation, transportation, food, laundry facility for free to his employees. The salary that he offers is also decent.
It is really not expected for a Proprietor to match the kind of facility people get in the elite companies. I was impressed with this man, who was full of humility. He left after a 10 minute discussion but gave some words of wisdom.
He made me realize that running a company is a different ball game all together. You have to win people to retain them for years. Only then they will not go somewhere for a 20% hike in salary because they feel at home at your company.

There is nothing very unique but it made me think and I wrote about it as I want to remember that old man and his words forever. Writing is Powerful ☺
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive