Life is a beautiful journey full of chaos and adventure. So, fold your sleeves, come out of your comfort zone and try something you always wanted to do.

6 Oct 2015

What should men know by 22?

You are on the verge of getting into the job market. Here are some things that will be helpful
  1. Find a Mentor in your industry.
  2. Never quit on a dream. Keep half an hour aside each day for making your dream a reality.
  3. Work hard, really hard. No work is small. When I joined, I got the job of following up with people who defaulted on their commitments. It felt like a Mechanical engineer is doing a BPO job in a construction company. Thankfully I had a 2 years bond of 2 Lakh else I would have run away. Within few months, I started interacting with clients and suppliers. I was handling things on my own. I have seen extremes as a newbie. The transition from a less demanding role to a high demanding one was not easy but enriching. So, have patience and learn to do so-called small jobs at times.
  4. Rejections are prized possessions-I failed to get into IITs even after 2 sincere attempts, when my friend was 22, he was so obsessed with IITs that he told that he would take re-birth again to get into IITs. Please don’t judge him, his elder brother was an IITian and he must have experienced something which made him tell so.
  5. Never be ashamed if you are not placed during campus placement. Campus Placement is over-hyped.
My brother is 22, he completed his engineering from one of the top 5 colleges of MP but he couldn’t get placed in the campus selection.  We knew the scenario of placement in MP, so have asked him to prepare well in advance for the placement season. He studied hard but still, he couldn’t make it to any of the good companies that visited his campus. He is unplaced. But, don’t pity on him. 

He would often clear the written test. Time and again he was getting rejected in the final round of selection.  It was a great feat to get into the last 15-20 students out of a pool of more than 1000 candidates, that too after surviving many rounds. For us, he was a winner but for the world he was just another guy who failed to grab a job in campus. 

He is currently honing his programming skills at the best institute in Bangalore. It has been a little more than a month and the confidence he has got is incredible. I am sure that he can land in a decent job soon. Though, we are not in hurry and have advised him to take a job only where he can learn and grow professionally. Money is secondary thing for a fresher. Some of my cousins have followed the same path and have started their career with as low as 10K bucks per month and now after 8-9 years, they all are earning  15+ LPA. So, don’t think that if you start with a small company then you are going to be struck with a low paying job. 

I am sharing about him now just because there are many other 22 years old who are upset as they have graduated and have no job in hand. People with good intentions also end up hurting guys who are unplaced. A week ago my sister got job offers from two reputed IT companies. She already had a job offer from an upcoming startup where she did her Internship this summer. I also got two job offers in college. All this, make people compare my brother with us. We were from a college that has a good placement record. I am glad that our family has learned not to panic in this situation. 

The extra struggle my brother has to do will only make him stronger and better. When you have positive attitude then adversity is a better teacher than luxury.  I keep reminding him that  5 year down the line , we all will give his examples to all those who are unplaced. 

WORK HARD, HOPE for the best! God help those who help themselves.If you need any help, feel free to ping me. :)
Share:

1 comment:

  1. Really Very inspiring & best article I have ever read !!! Thank you soo much :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive