Life is a beautiful journey full of chaos and adventure. So, fold your sleeves, come out of your comfort zone and try something you always wanted to do.

10 Oct 2015

Is Campus Placement the most hyped thing in India

Campus Placement: 

Harvard or Cambridge University don’t conduct campus placement. They will make you capable to find a suitable job on your own. The culture of campus placement is  a recent addition in India from a decade or so. Most of the world's best universities don't arrange for Campus Placement.

If you are placed during campus selection then my best wishes to you. If you have not got placed during campus then don’t worry. Just work hard. Success is not permanent and so is failure.  

Like everything else this too shall pass

Campus Placement is one of the most hyped things in India. If you have a job when you are out of college then you are seen with respect, else you might be seen as a Failure, which is not true.

My Personal Experience

I agree that getting a job in campus makes life easier but it doesn’t makes one better by any means.  I have got selected in two companies through campus selection but four years down the line it doesn’t matters to me. I was selected in TCS when I had bare minimum knowledge of Programming just because of my soft skills. My answer to TCS Interview question "Why should I hire you"? 

I was a Mechanical Engineering Undergrad with no plan to join a construction company. Getting into L&T was never on the cards. But, at last moment, I decided to attend the Pre Placement Talk of L&T, where I saw the video of how they build the Delhi Airport.

 The video made me fall in love with the company and that’s how I came into L&T. It was also strange that out of more than 300 projects of L&T, I was assigned to work at the Mumbai International Airport Project. I couldn’t have asked for more as I joined L&T just by admiring the Delhi Airport (Terminal 3)

It has been a roller coaster ride for me and there are negatives and positives. Overall, I love the experience and the exposure I got. But, let me also share about my friends who were un-placed or have not got plum jobs during campus

1. Many of my friends who couldn’t get a Job have cleared competitive exams and are at companies like NTPC, Coal India, ISRO, BHEL, BEL, etc. 

2. Some of my friends got job at companies which were not heard of and they used to get less than our office boy. But, as they knew that they have not settled, they switched jobs and at present they are having higher paying jobs.

3. There are some who got into different kind of post graduation courses like MBA, MTECH etc and are now in job with an enhanced qualification.

4. Still, I have a couple of friends who are very close to clearing IAS, IES or anything big.  Their struggle is still going on and I am sure that they will soon get into a job that they deserve.

Why I am sharing this is because 4 years ago all the 4 categories of my friends were made to realize that they are missing something in life. I know that they have faced embarrassment from the society.

My friends who were unplaced during Campus have struggled more than me but now they are at par with others who were placed during campus selection. 

I am proud on my friends who have created their success story from scratch and I have a sense of respect for them.

When people who work hard and struggle get success then they inspire many people. I got selected during campus but that can hardly inspire someone. But, the success of my friends is special as they have crafted it on their own after struggling a lot and it makes it inspiring and beautiful.

PS- I have got many queries related to career guidance and so have provided links to some of my articles or answer that may help on the webpage  Career Advice & Guidance
 
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive