Life is a beautiful journey full of chaos and adventure. So, fold your sleeves, come out of your comfort zone and try something you always wanted to do.

13 Sept 2015

North Indian in Bangalore : Don't worry about Mess Food

It has been more than a week since I last spoke to my brother. He is currently studying in Bangalore.

When I talk to Mom, she told that my brother was upset about the food. I was surprised as he is not a kind of person who crib about anything. So, I called him to know what happened.

He told that he was unable to eat Chicken Curry as it was sweet. Onions are costly and hence the PG where he stays has cut down heavily on its use.

While making fun of the rising price of Onion, I never knew that my brother is suffering because of it. I asked him about the food being served in the Mess. 

He told that he loves the breakfast. The breakfast menu comprise of things like Idlis, Dosa, Utapam, Dosa, etc which has been our childhood favourite. 

The Lunch has Rice with Sambhar or Rasam. He told that he eats biscuit as he can't have this. I know that it is not as per our liking. So, I gave him an idea. 

I asked him to buy Ghee, Pickle, Tomatos, Onion, Sauce, etc and then have rice with all those things. He also has a packet of the miraculous ingredient Sattu which can come handy. He can make Tomato chutney in no time. One just need to crush two tomatoes, chop a small onion in fine pieces and have some salt and mix all these. 

Rice with Tomato Chutney, Ghee, Pickle, Sattu is really tasty. Even, I love to have it occasionally. He can definitely have thing for 3 days in a week. 

For other days, he can order something like Paneer or Dal Tadka and can have it with Rice. He is staying in BTM and the area has really cheap restaurants from North India. So, it's easy on pocket as well. 

The Dinner has Roti with different Sabzis. I gave him the idea to bring egg omelet from outside. We can definitely enjoy our dinner if we have omelet. On other days, we can order Sabzi from outside and have it with Roti provided in Mess. 

He told that he gets Sattu Parathas and Aalu Paratha for Rs 30 for 2 Nos. Is he kidding? I went to an average restaurant outside Kurla Railway Station in Mumbai few hours ago and saw the price of Aalu Paratha as Rs 100 for 1 No on the menu card.

He is in an area of Bangalore that is full of students and job seekers. The area is really affordable with a great connectivity. He got a room with a Balcony and all the facilities like Wifi, Washing Machine, Housekeeping, etc. The cost is dirt cheap for the offering. And, yes, Food is inclusive. So, I feel that rather that worrying about it, he can definitely enjoy what he is getting.

The place has got good students and hence a great place for learning. I am glad that he is there. After we discussed, he was so excited that he wanted to talk to Mom to inform that I have given him some brilliant ideas.

My brother has experienced terrible food at his hostel during engineering but has managed with it without complaining and it came to our notice only after he completed engineering two months ago. I have stayed outside for 11 years and these ideas comes from experience. So, I can be assure of earning some good points in my home:) 

I am writing all this out of guilt of ignoring real people. I am giving career tips, helping others to overcome their failure or fear but what an irony that I am unable to help my own brother and sister. So, never ignore people who are in and around you or your loved ones.

Sorry dude for this late advise. I know you are glad to know all this. I thought that there are many others who will also find this helpful. Let them also get some dirt cheap ideas to please their stomach in Bangalore. 
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive