Life is a beautiful journey full of chaos and adventure. So, fold your sleeves, come out of your comfort zone and try something you always wanted to do.

21 Sept 2015

Should I pick my Boss's call during Vacation


I am on a leave and my boss calls me for some urgent work. Is it OK if I don't pick up? Coz I really don't feel like talking to him 
It's perfectly ok if you don't have to come back again. (Laughs)
I was terrible at responding to phone calls. During my first vacation, I switched off my phone. It turned off my boss as he needed some crucial details. 

On my next vacation, I made my phone not reachable and hence it made him more upset.

After that, I went to Jammu & Kashmir on my 3rd vacation and had no connectivity as prepaid networks were not available there. So, I called from a telephone booth, just to inform him that it was not my fault that this time also I was not reachable.

After the one year on-job training period was over, my reluctance with official calls went away. I felt that in this era, I have to be available to urgent calls as I was responsible for certain things. So, have found a way out and my work life balance during vacation is not an issue.

Before going on leave, I write an auto email reply so that those who contact me know that I am not available in office. Also, I give my Boss and team members a personal number that they can use for call me. I make a status report of your ongoing works and handover to your boss or another friendly colleague.

So, they know that I don't prefer getting bothered during a vacation. They call only when it is really urgent. And, I have made it clear that if I don't pick the phone due to some reason I will get back to them soon. So, they also feel connected and don't panic when I don't respond to their calls.

Always, let your boss know what you are doing when he calls. This will shorten your call duration. Be comfortable with him and your colleagues so their calls would seem like a friendly call. :)

I can understand your feelings as I have been there. Slowly, you will learn to manage all these.

All the best! Thanks for taking me to flashback.
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive